Splashtop On-Prem app for Windows has a few different video rendering options, to achieve optimal performance during a remote session as well as to workaround certain compatibility issues.
Splashtop On-Prem app for Windows v220.127.116.11 or later.
How to choose a different rendering option
- Log in your Splashtop On-Prem app > File menu > Options.
2. Go to the Advanced tab. Click on the drop-down menu under Video Rendering Options to select the available options.
Explanation of the rendering options
- Direct3D with YUV (default): The default option with a freshly installed On-Prem app. This option can achieve the best performance and take up least CPU resources, across most of our test cases in the lab.
- SDL with YUV: Try this option if you are getting the error message "Failed to initialize video device" in your Splashtop On-Prem app or if the remote screen shows up blank. These symptoms potentially indicate DirectX/Direct3D is not enabled or working properly.
Also, try this option if you turn on screen recording as a result the remote session performance severely degraded.
- Software: Try this option if above issues are not solved by using SDL with YUV, or if you run into any other issues with the other rendering options. Software option consumes more CPU resources but may be the best compatible across different hardware platforms.
In versions earlier than v18.104.22.168, this option was once named "alternative rendering engine."
- Direct3D with RGB: This option was the default choice in versions before v22.214.171.124. It is being retained for completeness. For optimal performance, we recommend Direct3D with YUV.
What happens when you update Splashtop On-Prem app from an earlier version to v126.96.36.199?
- To reduce variability, Splashtop On-Prem app will continue to use the previous settings.
- If the app was using the default option, it will continue to use the same (now named Direct3D with RGB).
- If the app was using the "alternative rendering engine," it will continue to use the same (now named Software).
- We recommend you to switch to Direct3D with YUV at your convenience, for better performance.