It only shows a black screen when you try to establish a remote session to a headless Windows computer. Or, you see other display issues such as app windows showing blank or improperly, the Windows Start menu displaying tiny..
Could also apply if your monitor/display is powered off, or laptop lid is closed, thus simulating a headless computer.
This is not a common case and for most of the cases we could connect to a headless Windows computer without issue. However if you see this happens, please try the workarounds below.
Workaround - Virtual Display Driver
Please first make sure you're running Splashtop Streamer v220.127.116.11 or later.
- On the streamer computer, go to this file path:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Splashtop\Splashtop Remote\Server\Driver\LciDisplay
- Right-click "install_driver64.bat" (for 64-bit OS) or "install_driver.bat" (for 32-bit OS) and run as Administrator
- Add registry key "VirtualDisplay"=DWORD:1 (1 to turn feature on and 0 to turn off) under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Splashtop Inc.\Splashtop Remote Server for Business\
- Establish a remote session to the computer.
- After installing the driver, it will create a virtual display when a remote session is established, named SP-DSP00. E.g., if remote system is a headless one, you will have one display; if it is dual-monitor system, there will be three.
- The newly created display is with 720P resolution.
- This should resolve the black screen issue when remote system is a headless one.
- This should resolve the display issues when remote system is a headless one, i.e. blank windows.
- If you wish to disable this virtual display, besides uninstalling the driver, you can change the value of the registry key “VirtualDisplay” to turn on/off the driver.
- 1=on, 0=off.
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Splashtop Inc.\Splashtop Remote Server for Business)
- 1=on, 0=off.
Workaround 2 - Mirror Driver
Please first make sure you're running Splashtop Streamer v18.104.22.168 or later.
- Open the streamer UI
- Go to the Advanced tab, scroll down to find the Install Mirror Driver button / Mirror screen capturing option.
- Click the button to install
There are two limitations when using Mirror driver. Please click into the link for more details.